Longer days, lighter nights and more worry. Yup, it’s summer. There’s something about this season that makes kids run faster and play harder and with this comes much needed safety advice! Here’s how you can help keep your kid safe this season without feeling like ‘Summer Cop’ or ‘Monster Mum’, monitoring the fun right out of his/her vacation:
1- Be sun savvy:
Your child has to be protected from direct sun exposure the same way as adults have to do!
– Thus, don’t ever forget to apply sun screen 15 to 30 minutes before sun exposure so it can absorb into the skin and decrease the likelihood that it will be washed off. Then re-apply every two hours and after your kids swim, sweat, or dry off with a towel.
– Dress your kid in protective clothing with a hat on their head for as long as they can keep it on!
– Babies younger than 6 months should be kept out of direct sunlight, dressed in cool, comfortable clothing and wearing hats with brims.
– Offer plenty of water to your child to prevent dehydration
2- Water safety:
– Never leave a child unattended around water. Children are drawn to it, and very young children can drown in just an inch of water.
– Empty all buckets, pails and bathtubs completely after each use – do not leave them full and unattended.
– Always have ADULT supervising young swimmers
3- Never leave your child in an unattended car:
The temperature inside a car can get dangerously hot, even in moderate weather with the windows slightly down.
Simply leaving the air conditioner on doesn’t make your child safe. A child could put the car in drive, get caught in a closing power window or be abducted.
Here are some tips to keep kids safe around cars:
– Never leave a child unattended in a car. Not even for a minute.
– Always lock your car and secure the keys so that your kids can’t get to them.
– Warn your children about playing in and around cars.
– Get your kids out of the car first, and then worry about unloading the groceries and items out of the car.
And now your children can enjoy their vacation with maximum safety!!